The Lizard

Posted  by Elisabeth

Have you ever felt like God could not see you? Perhaps, you were trying to run from Him. Or, maybe, you were simply secluded in a circumstance and thought that He was unaware of your whereabouts. Here is a poem our grandfather wrote which shares a message that I pray will turn your eyes upon our Father--for He does, indeed, see you right where you are.

THE LIZARD

A young lizard came into my shop today;
Left to himself, I thought he’d go away.
But he just stood there looking at me,
Hoping beyond hope that him, I wouldn’t see.

Earlier that day it had been quite warm,
And to open the door would be the norm.
Then the rain began, and I love the sound.
It was then that I saw my friend on the ground.

I looked in my shop, but no food was in sight
To give to my friend. But I understood his plight:
It was storming outside and he had discovered
A place of refuge. He knew he’d be covered.

I tried to catch him and take him outside,
But he was too smart and from me he did hide.
“You can’t catch me – you can’t reach under there!”
It was then that I heard my unspoken prayer.

“Lord, am I attempting to hide from You?”
And of course, He answered as if on cue:
“My kids seem to think since they can’t see Me
That I can’t see them; and think they are free.

“I want you to know that I see you today –
At work, at home, at church, and at play.
Go tell My Church that I see them, too.
But oh, how I desire to be in their view!

“If they keep withdrawing themselves from Me,
Whatever they think, they’ll never be free.
Like the lizard, if they don’t want to die,
They must trust in Me; and escape, not to try.”

I searched again to find my small friend.
Then I saw him – heading around the bend.
Using wisdom and stealth, I aimed him outside
Using my right foot as a peculiar guide.

“Lord, unlike this lizard, let me never hide;
Abiding in You may I always confide.
Self-sufficient, I never want to be,
But always believing, and trusting in Thee.

~ S. E. Linzey ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

***Huge Announcement!!!

Reflections on 2021